“Marriage and intact families are correlated with higher incomes, stronger economic growth, upward mobility, higher workforce-participation rates, decreased child poverty and lower dropout rates.” Bobby Jindal
Editor’s Note: The Christian worldview as outlined in Understanding The Times: A Survey of Competing Worldviews (Jeff Myers/David Noebel) parallels closely to Jindal’s understanding of what “Conservative” means in everyday living. The answer to poverty is still Marriage and the family! The answer to crime is still Marriage and the family! The answer to ignorance is still Marriage and the family! The answer to the destructive “sexual revolution” is still Marriage and the family! In other words, the answer to 90% of societies disfunctions is Marriage and the family! With Christian Marriage and family sweeping up the other 10%.
The paladins of political correctness continue to enforce prohibitions on taboo ideas on campus, in the workplace and in the national conversation. Thankfully, many brave and vocal conservatives remain willing to question conventional wisdom. For the remainder, a little hypocrisy can work wonders as they seek to reconcile radical liberal orthodoxy with their own observations and experiences. These conservatives, looking to survive, increasingly opt to “talk left” and “live right.”
Liberals rail against supposedly rampant structural inequalities, and cite disparate impacts as proof of inherent racism and sexism. Women and minorities are broadly disadvantaged, according to this perspective, due to the evils of “white privilege.” Structural bias counts more than individual effort, so that neither success nor failure is truly earned.
Yet, in red and blue states, parents warn their children not to blame their teacher for a bad grade, coaches counsel players not to blame the referee for a loss, and employees know that a bad boss is no excuse for shoddy work. There’s a reason Americans continue to flock to rags-to-riches stories and the ideal of the American dream in popular culture. Personal responsibility and effort aren’t substitutes for rigorous enforcement of antidiscrimination statutes, but the claim that economic outcomes are socially predetermined contradicts most people’s real-world experience and can sometimes become self-fulfilling. Continue reading