“In 2004 Governor Mitt Romney ordered Justices of the Peace to perform homosexual marriages when requested or be fired.” Ibid.
“Churches and religious people have been demonized, harassed and threatened—with no punishment for the perpetrators. Since the ‘gay marriage’ ruling, those who publicly disagree with ‘gay marriage’ or the normalcy of homosexuality—or hold events promoting traditional beliefs—are targets of militant retribution by homosexual activists. Police and public officials have shown no interest in stopping this.” Ibid.
What same-sex “marriage” has done to Massachusetts (Part II)
It’s far worse than most people realize
Brian Camenker, October 2008 – Updated June 2012
Adoption and birth certificates
- In the year after the “gay marriage” ruling, the state’s adoption and foster care workers went through a massive indoctrination on “LGBT youth awareness.” This included employees and managers at the Mass. Dept. of Social Services. These sessions were run by the radical National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (which once awarded a “Leather Leadership Award” to the owner of a pornographic video company). The emphasis was that those working with children must be trained that homosexuality (and transgenderism) are normal. At one session, the trainer announced that the new motto is, “To tolerate is an assault; you have to accept” this behavior.
- Homosexual “married” couples can now demand to be allowed to adopt children – through any agency. In 2006 Catholic Charities decided to abandon handling adoptions rather submit to regulations requiring them to allow homosexuals to adopt the children in their care.
- Adoption agencies have said that 40% of their adoptions are to homosexual couples. Anecdotal reports also indicate that many adoption agencies now favor homosexuals over normal couples.
- In 2006 the Massachusetts Department of Social Services (DSS) honored two men “married” to each other as their “Parents of the Year.” The men had adopted a baby through DSS (against the wishes of the baby’s birth parents). According to news reports, the day after that adoption was final, DSS approached the men about adopting a second child.
- The state-funded Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange (MARE) has been pushing “GLBT” family formation and holds “adoption parties” where homosexual couples have been encouraged to attend (along with others) and see “available” children in person. MARE places prominent ads in GLBT publications.
- Birth certificates in Massachusetts have been changed from “mother” and “father” to “mother/parent” and “father/parent.” Two men or two women can now be listed as the “parents” on birth certificates! Homosexuals who adopt can revise children’s’ existing birth certificates.
- A court ruled in 2012 that if a child is “born of a same-sex marriage,” there is no need for adoption by a non-biological parent. Thus, they would both be the listed as the “parents” on the child’s birth certificate, without any formal proceedings necessary. (The other biological parent is not noted on the official birth certificate.)Government mandates
- Marriage licenses and certificates in Massachusetts now have “Party A” and “Party B” instead of “husband” and “wife.” Imagine having a marriage license like that.
- In 2004, Governor Mitt Romney ordered Justices of the Peace to perform homosexual marriages when requested or be fired. Several Justices of the Peace immediately decided to resign. That order still stands. Also Town Clerks were forced by the Governor’s office to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- In 2008 Massachusetts changed the state Medicare laws to include homosexual “married” couples in the coverage.
The public square
Since gay “marriage” began, public “Gay Pride” events have become more prominent in the public square. There are more politicians and corporations participating, and even police organizations take part. And the envelope gets pushed further and further. For example: the annual profane “Dyke March” through downtown Boston, and the 2008 “transgender” parade in Northampton that included bare-chested women who have had their breasts surgically removed (so they could “become” men). Governor Patrick even marched with his 17-year-old “out lesbian” daughter in the 2008 Boston Pride event, right behind a sadomasochist “leather” group brandishing a black and blue flag, lashes and chains!
Churches being harassed
Churches and religious people have been demonized, harassed and threatened – with no punishment for the perpetrators. Since the “gay marriage” ruling, those who publicly disagree with “gay marriage” or the normalcy of homosexuality – or hold events promoting traditional beliefs – are targets of militant retribution by homosexual activists. Police and public officials have shown no interest in stopping this. We are not aware of a single homosexual activist arrested (or charged with any “hate crime”) for disrupting a religious event or threatening and harassing people at a church. For example:
- In 2012 someone threatened to burn down a Catholic Church in Acushnet which posted the words “Two men are friends, not spouses” on its outdoor sign. The church immediately received a flood of profane phone calls. At least one person threatened to burn down the church. An activist nailed a sign to church’s fence saying, “Spread love not hate.” Activists staged a protest outside of the Sunday Mass to intimidate parishioners with a sign saying, “It is legal for two men or women to be spouses.” Neither the police nor the District Attorney pursued the threats as a hate crime or other offense.
- In 2010 a Catholic elementary school balked at letting a lesbian couple enroll their son. As a result, the school was excoriated in the media and even by the local liberal state representative as “discriminatory.” The privately-run Catholic Schools Foundation then threatened to withhold funding to the school unless it relented. The Archdiocese eventually backed down and the school reversed its policy.
- In 2009 angry homosexual activists terrorized the Park Street Church in Boston while it was holding an ex-gay religious training session inside. They demonstrated next to the doors and windows with signs, screaming homosexual slogans. One of them held a bullhorn against the window outside the meeting, bellowing at the participants inside. Police did nothing to stop them, even though they were standing inside the historic cemetery adjacent to the church.
- In 2006 dozens of screaming homosexual activists drowned out the speakers at an outdoor pro-marriage rally in Worcester organized by Catholic Vote, yelling “Bigots” and disgusting chants. Police did not stop them, even though the rally had a permit. When one of the rioters rushed the stage and started shouting, a rally organizer tried to lead her to the side. She subsequently sued that organizer for assault! He went through a four-day trial and was acquitted by a jury. But no charges were filed against any of the rioters.
- In 2006 a group of homosexual activists with signs taunted and screamed at people entering and leaving the Tremont Temple Baptist Church in downtown Boston, which was holding a nationally televised pro-marriage event inside.
- In 2005 hundreds of homosexual activists terrorized the Tremont Temple Baptist Church with makeshift coffins, screaming obscenities through loudspeakers as the national pro-family group Focus on the Family held a religious conference inside. The crowd was so threatening that attendees could not leave the church for the lunch break. The Boston riot police stood in front of the church doors, but did nothing to disperse the protesters who were also completely blocking the street.
- The Boston media regularly features articles and news stories using homosexual “married” couples where regular married couples would normally be used. It’s “equal,” they insist, so there must be no difference in how marriage is portrayed. Also, the newspaper advice columns now deal with homosexual “marriage” issues – and how to properly accept it.
- A number of news reporters and TV anchors are “out” homosexuals (at least one openly “married”) who march in the “Gay Pride” parades and publicly participate in other homosexual events.Politics
- A climate of fear has kept politicians at all levels from disagreeing with or criticizing same-sex marriage since it became “legal.” Public officials are afraid of being accused of wanting to “take away rights.” Those who support traditional marriage rarely discuss it publicly. And this fear has expanded to suppress any meaningful debate on all homosexual related issues. Additionally, it has brought a feeling of intimidation among pro-family people across the state.
- The Massachusetts Republican establishment has become arguably the most “pro-gay marriage” GOP in America. The state GOP House and Senate leaders now both publicly support “gay marriage,” as did the recent Mass. GOP candidates for Governor and Lt. Governor. GOP candidates for office are told not even to discuss it.
- In April 2009, the Chairman of the Mass. Republican Party told a homosexual newspaper that the GOP would no longer oppose “gay marriage.” Then Chairman Jennifer Nassour, interviewed on the front page of Bay Windows, assured the gay community that the state GOP would “steer clear of social” issues such as “opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion.” The newly elected chairman, Bob Maginn, does not talk about the issue.
- Every Massachusetts state-wide elected official and member of Congress (but one) now publicly supports “gay marriage.” The one (apparent) holdout, Republican US Senator Scott Brown, strenuously avoids the issue, saying that it’s “settled law” and not worth fighting over.Rule of law
- Same-sex “marriage” came to Massachusetts through a radical court’s narrow ruling. Because of that, there is an often depressing sense of helplessness that pervades this issue. The marriage statute was never changed, and it has been convincingly argued that the whole process was in violation of the state constitution. The Governor simply went along. And the Legislature acted to block popular votes on two separate constitutional amendments protecting marriage, after sufficient signatures had been gathered for each. The rule of law seems further lost with every new outrage imposed on the people.
- Even the Massachusetts Law Library (online) shows no law legalizing same-sex marriage, only a court opinion. It is a dangerous precedent to allow such sweeping judicial activism to stand as law, enabling everything that has followed from it. It should serve as a warning to states across the country.
Same-sex “marriage” hangs over society, hammering citizens with the force of law. Once it gets a foothold, society becomes more oppressive. Unfortunately, it was imposed on the people of Massachusetts through a combination of radical, arrogant judges and pitifully cowardly politicians. The homosexual movement has used that combination to its continued advantage around the country.
It’s pretty clear that this radical movement is obsessed with marriage not because large numbers of homosexuals actually want to marry each other. A small percentage actually “marry.” (In fact, over the last several months, the Sunday Boston Globe’s marriage section hasn’t had any photos of homosexual marriages; at first it was full of them.) Research shows that homosexuals’ relationships are fundamentally dysfunctional on many levels, and real “marriage” as we know it isn’t something they can achieve, or even truly desire.
The push for “gay marriage” is really is about putting the legal stamp of approval on homosexuality and forcing its acceptance on (otherwise unwilling) citizens and our social, political, and commercial institutions.
To the rest of America: You’ve been forewarned.